Saturday, October 4, 2008

Rajandeep Singh - a description

One discovers oneself with time. Over a span of 24 years, I have discovered and rediscovered myself. And it is this knowledge that I am pouring over here.

I am a person who is driven by challenges. It is the difficulty in an assignment that excites me most, and success, that gives me pleasure. Also, I have a dominating inclination towards taking decisions. I believe in taking quick, correct and firm decisions to steer things towards respective goals. It is this force that has been guiding my career right through.

I am also a person who is most passionate about my work. I don’t believe in (what has come to be known as) work-life balance, and deeply believe that life is all about work. My long term goal is to reach a leadership position where I shall be able to make decisions of significant business impact, creating value, both for the society, and my organisation. And I’ve been honing my skills accordingly. I did my engineering in Mechanical Engineering discipline. Thereafter I moved to IOL Chemicals & Pharmaceuticals Limited (Trident Group). Here, my stint at site projects gave me lessons on pragmatic thinking, and on-the-toes decision making. Having completed two capacity enhancement projects with IOL, I moved to Jindal Stainless Limited in search of greater challenges. Here, my experience in project management gave me a peep into how things move at the top, and fostered in me a bent to think ahead. Finally to look into the Consultants vertex of the projects triangle, I moved to Larsen & Toubro Limited. I worked for L&T for 14 months before joining MDI, Gurgaon. And here, with management studies, I wish to complete the first level of the learning spiral.

Over the years, I have found myself to be a person with an open mind. I am therefore good at unlearning and relearning. I am not easily swayed by notions; I but rely on facts and an independent judgement for making opinions and taking decisions. The same has been a key success factor for me at MDI.

As for my weaknesses, I am a little impatient. May it be finding out the result of an examination or taking a decision, I like things to move quickly. I understand that this tendency can cost dearly someday and have been working to unroot the same. However I also understand that the same tendency can be moulded into a strength by being more selective on matters to be impatient about.

Regarding my roots, I come from a humble family in Patiala (where I was born and brought up). My father is a Senior Branch Manager with Punjab & Sind Bank. My mother, even though a post graduate, has been busy in managing our home and architecting my success by inculcating values, rather than utilising her qualifications to add to the family income. And it is because of her that I believe in the equality of all castes, religions, nationalities and other boundaries diving us. And it is because of her that I have a vision of creating a world where everyone (regardless of what the colour of his skin is) has the opportunity to achieve what he / she deserves.

In my free time, I sometimes like to write. The topics of my writings have been as diverse as philosophy and politics. I also run a weblog (
www.solitude-is-bliss.spaces.live.com) to display my writings.

I wish I am able to achieve my goal standing on the building blocks of honesty, humility and commitment.

No comments: